Monday, January 12, 2009

Cynthia: Despero

They took Jeffrey.

Agents from the Department of Homeland Security entered my home today and essentially abducted Jeffrey, saying they were detaining him on matters of national security. Apparently since Agent Pierce's passing his superiors took a harder look at his investigations and discovered Doctor Shigekazu Yoshida's work in adapting the Rabbit Calicivirus to affect humans. While it would appear to be patently obvious to even the most rudimentary student of forensics that Jeffrey shot the intruder and saved my life, these new agents are intimating that Jeffrey murdered Agent Pierce then used his gun to kill the other man.

It is my impression that they are using Jeffrey to force me to giveaway Joshua's whereabouts, informing on him for what they believe to be his involvement with the gruesome events in Atlanta. As I will never do this, I fear greatly for Jeffrey's safety and future. As he was dragged away in handcuffs, Jeffrey told me not to worry and put on his bravest face, which for me made the situation all the worse. Better if he had cursed my name and told the agents everything, though I suppose as the interrogations drag on he may yet do so.

I would hire the finest lawyers for him, but he has not been charged with a crime. I would pay any bail, but none has been set. He is merely being "detained", and they can keep him for months or years without recourse.

At the very least the agents realized that I could not reasonably be left without a caretaker, so Independence First immediately dispatched a new assistant. As there was no time to go through an interview process I was forced to accept their selection, a man named Garrett whom I find utterly distasteful. He is a surly, brick-shaped brute who makes no attempt to disguise his view that I am merely a slab of meat to be maintained and nothing else. When I call for him I see nothing but contempt for me in his eyes.

How much else can be taken from me? How much more must I be forced to endure? It is not in my nature to surrender, but dear God, how much more?

No comments: