Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Cynthia: Tutela

Following the assault upon my home, I have procured the services of a security firm and have hopefully been forthcoming enough regarding the extreme danger their guards will be in while in my presence. I debated granting access to this archive to the men assigned to me, but have decided against it, hoping that the fact that an agent of Homeland Security was murdered in my very bedroom will serve as warning enough as to the severity of the peril they face.

Thus far their staff has performed admirably, working in eight hour shifts and rotating different guards in and out. Frankly, other than the original introductions to the individual security personnel, I have no contact with them whatsoever.

I offered to allow Jeffrey some well-earned time away, but even after our horrific ordeal of the other night he refused. I must say that while I would not have blamed him for taking a leave, his loss would have been most keenly felt. Even before he saved my life by shooting the intruder Jeffrey felt like family to me, and with Joshua unable to come home the thought of interacting with another caregiver was a lonely one indeed.

My physician on call, Doctor Godsby, paid a visit after the attack, examining my body thoroughly for any injuries received during the incident. Apparently my sternum is deeply bruised from where the smiling gentleman leaned on my chest, but there is no structural damage and the only advantage of being paralyzed from the neck down is that any minor bodily injuries are easily ignored. While I would not question the Doctor's competence I do find him to be cold and generally disagreeable, and I have instructed Jeffrey to begin making inquiries as to a suitable replacement for him.

Miss Stroud, I do hope that you and Joshua act with the utmost care while overseas. If the Liberator is indeed headed for Wardang Island you must assume that the entire area is now or soon will be under surveillance by the enemy.

No comments: