Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Cynthia: Opes

Today I interviewed two Private Investigators from Madison. Both seem competent, and instead of choosing between them I am considering hiring them both. I shall make my decision over lunch.

Last night Joshua recommended that I discuss my financial situation, not in great detail but only to give an estimate of the depths of my resources. I do not normally care to share such things, but for anyone accessing this archive it is information that you should possess.

My family was originally from Worcester, England. Worcester was a major British center for glove manufacture, and my ancestors were heavily involved in that industry, making their fortune in the early nineteenth century.

My husband Scott was also independently wealthy when we wed. His family is Belgian in origin, and were primary investors in the Banque Nat de Belgique, or National Bank of Belgium when it was founded in 1850. I have been told that he was a direct descendant of Leopold I, the first King of the Belgians, but we never went through the trouble of ascertaining the claims validity.

To make a long story short, our families had divested themselves of these interests before either Scott or I were born and invested them wisely in the interim. The "bottom line", as they say, is that collectively we were worth over one hundred million American dollars. I suppose I should also factor in Scott's life insurance policy, but frankly I haven't had the heart to look closely at the figures since his passing.

The only thing you really need know is that I have the means to fund this endeavor for as long as necessary. I am not wealthy enough to purchase Learjets and tropical islands on a whim, but I certainly should have the wherewithal to see some rogue truck-driver brought to justice.

No comments: