Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Mary: Getting Started

Hello, my name is Mary Stroud. I have to say this isn't how I would typically provide case reports to my employer, but given the unusual circumstances I'm happy to oblige.

First just allow me to say how terribly sorry I am for your loss, Mrs. Howland. I cannot begin to imagine the horror of what you have been through. I just want to assure you that I will do absolutely everything in my power within the law to bring your attacker to justice.

And just so we're clear, Mrs. Howland was attacked. I believe that the crash was intentional, and if I at any point refer to it in future as an "accident", please correct me. Also, frankly, based on your rare wealth and social status in a mostly blue-collar city like Milwaukee, I think it is entirely plausible that you were targeted specifically, though for what purpose, I don't know. I will be proceeding in this case with the assumption that I am hunting not someone who made a terrible mistake and ran from their crime, but a murderer.

Thank you as well for opening your home to me, Mrs. Howland. For anyone coming in later, it's more of a small mansion than a home, and right on Lake drive on the east side overlooking Lake Michigan. I can tell you that it's far more relaxing to hear the waves lapping up on the shore outside my window than the bustle of a college town like Madison. If there is anything I can do while I'm your guest, either for you or for Jeff, please just let me know.

A little about me, I became a fully licensed private investigator in 2000, though I acted as a process server for five years prior. I worked my way though college doing that, and never had this profession in mind, but it came easily to me so I just stuck with it and took it to another level. Due to a lot of books and TV movies there's a common misconception that P.I.'s get in gunfights and car chases and whatnot, and I have to say that's entirely fiction. I do occasionally carry a firearm, but I've never had to pull it much less shoot it. If you have to use a gun while giving someone a subpoena, you are seriously screwing up. I mostly do process serving along with insurance work, which is probably why Mrs. Howland (I feel like I should be addressing this to you directly? But I know there will be others reading it as we go along. Forgive the inconsistency while I get the hang of this) hired me as this investigation is, at least to start, similar to what I normally do.

To business: I'm going to begin by knocking on every door in the neighborhood and speaking with absolutely everyone. In a case like this, the police will do the best job they can, but they've categorized this as a hit-and-run accident, not a murder, so they won't be able to dig as deep as I can. I also might be able to get a few people talking who otherwise might be more reluctant when questioned by someone more official.

Mrs. Howland has provided me with a brand new Blackberry, so I can post while I'm out and about. I'll keep you as updated as I can.

Thank you again for your generosity and hospitality.

No comments: