Monday, November 3, 2008

Mary: Autopsy

The rain intensified as I drove down I-94 West to Mayfair Mall, my rental car's wiper blades whipping back and forth at high speed, clearing the droplets out of my sight almost before I registered they were there. I'm sure it's never a good sign in your life when your rental car is far, far superior to the car you own. Living in a gorgeous mansion by the lake, driving a Lexus, eating waffles every morning with Jeff and Cynthia and trying (and failing) to keep up with them as they discuss philosophy, psychology and history has been an incredible experience, but it isn't truly real to me. While living this life-at least for a short time-is making me feel totally out of my depth, it is still growing more comfortable by the hour. I have to steel myself for the inevitable return to my home in Madison, and the dirty dishes, unpaid bills and piles of laundry that are my reality.
Mrs. Howland insisted that I purchase some new business suits and charge them to her as expenses. The clear statement here is that she found all of the clothes I wear to be lacking, and I have never been so simultaneously humiliated and thrilled at the same time. Once at the mall I took my time to make sure that the money would be spent wisely, and that I was purchasing ensembles that not only would meet Mrs. Howland's approval but that also expressed what I enjoy. Four hours later (a bit longer than I had anticipated) I left the mall with my new suits, a Cinnabon and an embarrassingly bloated expense ledger.

Upon exiting the Mayfair Mall parking lot it was well after seven in the evening, and though it was a long shot that I would receive any information of value from Detective Ward about the case at this time of night, my sense of duty (or, more to the point, guilt about the bill for the clothes) impelled me to drive down to the St. Francis police department and at least try. I am pleased to say that my journey was certainly not in vain.

After shaking off my umbrella in the foyer, I entered the station and almost literally bumped into Detective Ward, who was on his way out. He looked even more gaunt and haggard than he had that morning, but he worked up enough energy to give me a polite smile. "Miss Stroud. I was just knocking off, but come back to my office, I've got something you are absolutely going to want to see."

Once ensconced in his small cubicle, Ward opened his lower desk drawer and pulled a Manila file folder out, laying it gently on his desk. He stared at it for a long moment, then looked up at me. "Off the record and unofficially, Randazzo is an utter f*ck-up. I never believed for a moment that what happened to your client was a simple hit-and-run. The traffic pattern, the rate of speed, the fact that he had to make a pretty tricky swerve past some parked cars to hit her car at all... everything added up to intent, at least as far as I was concerned, but it wasn't my case." He spared a glance back down at the folder sitting on his desk, his fingers tapping gently on the cover. "Your client made a phone call today, and apparently she can be damn persuasive. Randazzo is off, I'm on. I'm treating today's murder and the attack on your client as a single investigation." Ward smiled disarmingly then, his grin hinting at the handsome man he would have been twenty years before. "There are a lot of cops that wouldn't be too thrilled about a private investigator running alongside their case, but I'm fine with it. We've got plenty to do as it is, and if there's a victim out there who's willing to funnel resources into a case, I'm going to use them, not fight them. Just keep what I tell you out of the press and tell me what you know when you know it, that's all I ask."

This was about the best news we could have received. With Ward now running the investigation, we had a competent, sympathetic police liaison. As his fingers absently rapped on the folder, he continued, his voice softening to a whisper. At this time of the night there was only one other officer in the station working the front desk, but I instinctively leaned closer conspiratorially.

"I thought the scene of the murder was the weirdest and worst-I mean... they're still working out how the hell the murderer got a goddamn smile on her face. They're thinking he drugged her with something that would produce the effect, but we're waiting on toxicology." Detective Ward shrugged helplessly, then sighed and deliberately flipped open the file folder, sliding it over the desk to me.

Without waiting for me to read it, he said, "They didn't find it at the scene, but as soon as they began the autopsy proper they couldn't miss it. Something had been... they're not sure, probably pushed in somehow-into her brain. Coroner says he thinks the killer went up through the back of the throat and into the skull, though he doesn't know how it was done without major drilling, and they can't find any sign of that."

I looked up from the file. "There are so many questions I have regarding how the body was manipulated, actually. How did he pull the head down through the body cavity-"

He put up a hand. "You've got the same questions the experts do, and there's no answer in sight, at least not yet. I like to think we're a pretty capable bunch, but as of now I'd be shocked if the F.B.I. didn't step in on this one. There's just so much unanswered, and this last find... in her brain... it's just so far over the top." Ward slumped back in his chair, gesturing for me to read the coroner's preliminary report. As he had said, a foreign object had been found lodged next to Mrs. Walentowicz's hippocampus. The coroner was waiting for further tests to be conducted, but he was almost entirely certain as to the object's nature: it was a rabbit's foot.

No comments: