Monday, November 24, 2008

Mary: Name That Tune

October 29th, 2008: An hour later Josh woke up, thankfully. I was worried he might lapse into a coma and I would have to take him to the hospital where he would be treated and arrested. While he showered I went out to the nearest drug store and picked up some supplies: a wrist brace, ace bandages, painkillers, rubbing alcohol, first aid kit, shaving kit and hair dye. When I returned to the room I had Josh shave those sideburns back to the mid-90's from whence they came (at right), then dyed his hair blond, something that's going to take quite a bit of getting used to. While I rubbed the dye into his scalp, I heard him humming a little tune and froze.

"That song... why are you singing that?"

Josh put a hand to his forehead to keep the solution from running into his eyes. "What? Oh, I don't know. Didn't know I was doing it. Come on, this crap is getting all in my face, can you finish?"

I didn't move. "Where did you hear it?"

He shrugged. "Hell, I don't know, it's just a children's-" he turned to look up and back at me, the dye running down his neck. "The old man. It was the song he was humming right before I shot him. I know the tune, it's something I absolutely should know-"

"I know it. What you said about the smiles of the old man's helpers... that you'd seen those exact smiles before... I have to call Milwaukee. I think perhaps our murdered witness might not have been so random. Perhaps the attack happened there on that corner specifically so she could see it.

"The song he was humming was Bingo."

No comments: