Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Mary: The Safe Was Not

October 28th, 2008: I have just returned to my little motel in Hollis Crossroads after a round-trip journey to Atlanta, where I spent a good half-hour bluffing the desk clerk into giving me Yoshida's file box from the hotel safe. I used three bluffs at the same time where I probably should have only used one, but it worked. I claimed to be an employee of Josh's, acting on behalf of the police and pregnant, desperate for the medical forms inside the box for the sake of my unborn child. It appears that the collective impression of the overall competence of the people of Georgia has finally taken a hit.

Regardless, we got what we needed, and so I have a quick question for you, Mrs. Howland. If you still retain possession of your husband's checkbook, is there any notation for check number one thousand, three hundred and eighteen?

No comments: