Sunday, February 22, 2009

Josh: Fathers And Sons

After we gave the Emperor the encryption code for the archive and he dictated his post (consider my mind thoroughly blown by it, by the way), he dismissed us. Mary spoke then, saying respectfully, "Pardon me, your majesty, but perhaps we could stay a few moments longer? There is so much more that we would very much like to know."

Fukimitsu translated and Emperor Komei replied, with Fukimitsu's little smile widening as he pronounced, "The divine Emperor says that he would very much enjoy continuing a dialog concerning our mutual foe via posts on the archive instead of in person. He hopes that the enemy of his enemy is his friend, but at the same time every fiber of his royal being-blessed by sacred Nippon and directly descended from the great goddess Amaterasu- cries out to order your immediate executions with every moment you are in his presence."

I rose and stretched. "Welp, time to be hittin' that ol', dusty trail. Thanks for everything, your majesty." Bowing once more, we beat a hasty retreat back to the limo, with the Yoshida brothers giving our driver orders to return us to our respective apartments.

In the car, with Mary curled up on the seat next to me asleep, I heard Yoshida sniffle. "Are you getting sick, Yoshida? Do not give it to me. I can not afford to get sick right now."

"I am fine."

As we drove by a street-light, I saw that his face was wet. It took almost a minute for me to register what was happening (considering his normal disposition) and I asked, "Are you crying?"

"No."

"What is it?"

He wiped a hand over his face and continued to stare stoically out of the window at the dark shapes of trees as they whizzed by. In a soft voice, he said, "Yesterday, my father was a genocidal monster- an abomination. Today- while he did betray the Emperor's orders- he did it only and always in his service. Today, he is a hero, to me. My father."

I nodded. We drove home in silence, with only the sound of the road in our ears.

No comments: