Thursday, February 5, 2009

Yoshida: 28

I should clarify, the company used to hunt whales, but over the last couple of years we merely harvest them for "research", which is still quite legal, though contested.

At any rate, I personally have never touched a harpoon. In fact, I do not even set foot on the boats, as I am prone to seasickness. My job entails collating data as far as the whales' seasonal movements and creating charts- planning where and when to sail so as to maximize the harvest. My uncles estimate that my work on the project has enabled them to up their catch more than fifteen percent, which makes me far more valuable to the company sitting at a computer than actually out at sea.

And I certainly don't hate whales, despite your wild overreactions. In fact, I find them delicious.

No comments: