Sunday, February 22, 2009

Mary: Preparing For Battle

November 28th, 2008:

And now we wait. It might be a month or more before the Magician arrives in Japan to attempt to force his way in to Hitoshirezu-jo (literally, "Hidden Castle", Emperor Komei's home here in Kyoto).

In the meantime there is some discussion of precisely how we should proceed. Our main defense is the knife and the bingo charms, and we are hoping that whenever Josh destroys a charm with the knife the Magician's servants (like the Smilers) will be killed in a wide radius as the whales were when they attacked.

Beyond that, we considered alerting the Japanese authorities, but quickly came to our senses, knowing that they'd never believe a word.

The Emperor will not allow any weapon into the castle that is not Japanese of origin, so I'm taking the time to learn how to fire a bow and arrow, as well as receiving some rudimentary training with a "naginata" (below), which is basically a sword mounted on the end of a spear. One of the Emperor's servants is teaching me, and while it has been rigorous and I'm acquiring calluses at an alarming rate, the exercise is just what I need to focus and not go crazy waiting around.

In my spare time, just for fun I'm having Kisho teach me some of the sleight of hand he learned in his stage magic classes. It might come in handy as a Private Investigator if I survive the coming battle and the world doesn't end and my name is cleared back in the States.

Too many "ifs".

Just f.y.i., I'll be posting less frequently as we wait, unless there is something new to report.

No comments: